Urging people not to believe rumours, the finance ministry on Thursday said Rs 500 has been deposited in each PMJDY account held by women for April and Rs 1,000 more will be given over the next two months in equal instalments. State-owned SBI, which has the highest number of PMJDY accounts, asked the beneficiaries not to believe in rumours that the money will be taken away by the government if not withdrawn amid large numbers of people flocking banks.
Flydubai will operate up to 10 repatriation flights over the next week.
The announcement helps ensure the community's demand for food supplies can be met over the long term.
Saudi Arabia will host a virtual meeting on Friday, April 10.
The Environment Agency of Iceland recently granted permission for the importation of four tarantulas from Germany and four southern white-faced owls (Ptilopsis granti) from the UK.
Increased panic buying of food due to coronavirus lockdowns has led to price spikes for the world’s two staple grains, rice and wheat. Importers rushed to stockpile the goods, while exporters have curbed shipments. Read Full Article at RT.com
The Riyadh-led military coalition fighting Yemen's Huthi rebels has declared a two-week ceasefire in the country starting Thursday in a bid to combat the spread of the deadly coronavirus. The unilateral ceasefire follows an escalation in fighting between the warring parties despite a call by the United Nations for an immediate cessation to protect civilians in the Arab world's poorest nation from the pandemic. The announcement, due to take effect from 0900 GMT Thursday, marks the first breakthrough since the warring parties agreed to a UN-brokered ceasefire in the port city of Hodeida during talks in Sweden in late 2018. «The coalition is determined... to support efforts towards combatting the spread of COVID-19 pandemic,» Turki al-Maliki, the military alliance's spokesman, said on Wednesday. «The coalition announces a comprehensive ceasefire in Yemen for a period of two weeks, starting on Thursday.» The two-week truce, which could be extended, was aimed at creating «appropriate conditions» for a UN-sponsored meeting between the warring parties to enable a «permanent ceasefire» in Yemen, Maliki added. There was no immediate reaction from the Iran-aligned rebels. But hours before the announcement, the rebels released a comprehensive document that called for a withdrawal of foreign troops and the end of the coalition's blockade on Yemen's land, sea and air ports. The coalition, which launched its military intervention to support Yemen's internationally recognised government in 2015, said it was fully committed to a two-week ceasefire. But when asked whether it will respond if the rebels persist with attacks during the truce, a Saudi official said it reserved the right to «defend our people». UN special envoy Martin Griffiths welcomed the truce, calling on the warring parties to «cease immediately all hostilities with the utmost urgency». The ceasefire comes as Saudi Arabia, reeling from plunging oil prices, seeks to extricate itself from the costly five-year conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people and triggered what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis. Saudi deputy defence minister Prince Khalid bin Salman called on the rebels to «show good will» by seriously engaging in dialogue. «The two week ceasefire will hopefully create a more effective climate to deescalate tensions, work with (Griffiths) towards a sustainable political settlement,» Prince Khalid said on Twitter. - 'Litmus test' - The United Nations has repeatedly called for an immediate cessation of hostilities in Yemen to help avert potentially disastrous consequences of the coronavirus outbreak. Yemen's broken healthcare system has so far recorded no cases of the COVID-19 illness, but aid groups have warned that when it does hit, the impact will be catastrophic. «The ceasefire seems to be more of a courtesy than a policy -- it comes in response to UN calls to deescalate during the COVID-19 crisis,» Fatima Abo Alasrar, a scholar at the Middle East Institute, told AFP. Saudi Arabia, the Yemeni government and the Huthi rebels had all welcomed an appeal from UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres for an «immediate global ceasefire» to help avert disaster for vulnerable people in conflict zones. «It is most important to watch if the Huthis will stop their military operations,» Alasrar said. «That will be the real litmus test of a successful ceasefire as the Huthis have currently opened multiple battlefronts they cannot afford to close.» Fighting recently escalated again between the Huthis and Riyadh-backed Yemeni troops around the strategic northern districts of Al-Jouf and Marib, ending a months-long lull. And Saudi air defences intercepted Yemeni rebel missiles over Riyadh and the border city of Jizan late last month, leaving two civilians wounded in the curfew-locked capital, state media reported. It was the first major assault on Saudi Arabia since the Huthi rebels offered last September to halt attacks on the kingdom after devastating assaults on Saudi oil installations. Last week, the coalition carried out multiple air strikes on Yemen's rebel-held capital Sanaa in retaliation for the missile strikes. © Agence France-Presse
We're breaking down what you need to know about the pandemic by answering your questions. You can send us your questions via email at COVID@cbc.ca and we'll answer as many as we can. We'll publish a selection of answers every weekday on our website, and we're also putting some of your questions to the experts on the air during The National and CBC News Network.
People with disabilities and those who care for them face special challenges during the COVID-19 crisis as services they rely on shut down and respite care becomes harder to access.
Far-right groups in North America are 'opportunistic' and are seeking ways to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic to spread hate and fear, say watchdogs who keep tabs on them.
Economic uncertainty has derailed what was looking to be a strong spring market in Canadian real estate as real estate agents, lawyers and economists grapple with the pandemic’s impact on property transactions.
Patients are pleading for coronavirus tests. Front-line doctors want everyone coming into the hospital to get a test, while nursing homes can only test people with symptoms. Ontario has a backlog of tests one day and an excess capacity the next. How did this happen?
Read Full Article at RT.com
Read Full Article at RT.com
There was another setback on the road to UFC 249 with the news that former UFC women's strawweight champion Rose Namajunas has withdrawn from her co-main event bout with fellow former champ Jessica Andrade. Read Full Article at RT.com
British PM Boris Johnson remains in intensive care but is “stable” and “things are getting better,” UK Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has said. Johnson was admitted to hospital four days ago, suffering from Covid-19. Read Full Article at RT.com
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has called any suggestion that Russia had an ulterior motive in sending coronavirus aid to Italy “an insult to the Italian government,” warning that the pandemic poses an existential threat to the EU. Read Full Article at RT.com
The governor of the Bank of Japan said the country’s economy has been seriously affected by COVID-19 and vowed additional easing measures if necessary.
In an apparent response to US President Donald Trump’s threat to withhold funds, WHO chief Tedros Ghebreyesus has urged all sides not to ‘politicize’ COVID-19.
As delivery workers emerge as frontline soldiers in India’s fight to curb the spread of COVID-19, the government is shedding its traditional skepticism toward e-commerce.
A Swiss UN employee is the first COVID-19 patient in Myanmar to officially recover from the disease.
Angry people from group village head (GVH) Kapesi, Traditional Authority (T/A) Kachere in Dedza on Friday stormed the district commissioner’s (DC) office, accusing their GVH of selling their land to Dedza District Council. The villagers stormed the office after police rescued the GVH whom they wanted to beat. In an interview, one of the villagers, […] The post Angry villagers storm Dedza DC office accusing village head of selling their land appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
Bangwe Health Centre has registered the highest number of sexually-transmitted infections (STIs) cases among youths in Blantyre City, according to report of the research conducted by Amsterdam Institute of Global Health and Development (AIGHD). Speaking during the District Executive Committee (DEC) meeting on Thursday, AIGHD’s Research Coordinator, Getrude Finyiza said the research was aimed at […] The post Bangwe tops sexual diseases among youths in Blantyre appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
Newly formed musical group, Brothaz Kornah, has promised fans to expect more “Malawian music for internal ears” in their upcoming untitled EP set to release in July this year. The duet comprising of brothers, singer and producer Dizzo and a rising guitarist Tony Sparks have already released group’s debut single ‘Bwela’ a romantic piece with […] The post New music group Brothaz Kornah in EP project appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
The decision by Special Cabinet Committee on coronavirus (Covid-19) to impose a ban against church gatherings has been reversed by government, Malawi Council of Churches (MCC) has said. Minister of Health Jappie Mhango, who chairs the Special Cabinet Committee on Covid-19, prescribed during a news conference on Tuesday that church gatherings be suspended as a measure to prevent the […] The post Malawi reverses church ban: Worshippers asked to take extra caution to prevent Covid-19 spread appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
The Supreme Court of Appeal has on Thursday failed to start hearing the application by the Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) to admit to the local bar two South African lawyers the pollster had hired for the presidential election nullification appeal case. The court has since set Monday for the hearing although the two lawyers might […] The post MEC application for admission of South Africa lawyers shifts to Monday appeared first on Malawi Nyasa Times - News from Malawi about Malawi.
While other social media influencers may be busy preening themselves for on fleek work from home looks on Instagram, Preeti Nair (better known by her moniker Preetipls), has successfully raised over $100,000 to alleviate the coronavirus-induced plight of the migrant community in Singapore. As of writing, a crowdfunding campaign for non-governmental organisations Health Serve and Transient Workers Count 2 (TWC2) has garnered over $141,000 in funds, well over the initial goal of $100,000. The money will go towards helping Singapore’s migrant workers, who are particularly vulnerable during the ongoing pandemic. While the government has assured to cover the wages and costs of living for around 20,000 workers currently quarantined in their dormitories, the campaign seeks to help out the rest of the community who may not be as fortunate to receive state support.
SINGAPORE - Any group seen gathering in public will immediately be issued a written warning by enforcement officers, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. He warned that the authorities will strictly enforce the «circuit breaker» measures from Thursday (April 9), noting there are still far too many public gatherings taking place. There were still crowds seen in nature reserves, markets and other places, on the third day of strict measures that include closing most workplaces and barring social gatherings of any size in homes or public spaces like parks. Those caught flouting the rules for the first time will be issued a stern written warning, said Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Masagos Zulkifli in a Facebook post on Thursday. Second-time offenders will be fined $300, and those nabbed a third time will be charged in court. In a Facebook post, PM Lee said the number of new Covid-19 cases is increasing sharply, and that people must comply with stay home measures «very strictly». Singapore reported 142 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, taking the total number of reported cases here to 1,623.
SINGAPORE - What was supposed to be a home-based geography lesson on video conferencing platform Zoom for Secondary 1 student Zee, 13, took a traumatising turn when hackers allegedly hijacked the stream and started showing pictures of penises. These hackers, who Zee said were two Caucasian men, then allegedly told the girls from her class of 39 students who were watching to «show us your boobs». Her civil servant mother, who wanted to be known only as Miss Loh, 47, told The Straits Times on Thursday (April 9) that she was horrified at what had happened. She then informed the teacher of her daughter's school, which is in the eastern side of Singapore. «When she is surfing the Internet, she does not encounter such things. Home-based learning is supposed to be a safe space, but now our children have to be exposed to such things?» «I know it's difficult to manage but as a parent I feel very concerned,» she said. Zee's experience is not a unique one, as reports continue to pop up all around the world about cyber security incidents relating to Zoom.
Of the 1,423 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Alberta, 860 have been in the Calgary Zone so far. Twenty patients have died of the illness in the same region.
Front-line health-care workers at a long-term care home in Quebec where 13 people have died and 115 others have tested positive for COVID-19 are speaking out with grave concerns about the facility, including allegations of being forced to work without masks.